- Modern name for a site in northern UpperEgypton the east bank of the Nile south of Sohag. It likely served as a cemetery for the city of Thinis, capital of the eighth Upper Egyptian nome. The remains date from the Predynastic Period to the Middle Kingdom. The site was excavated by George Reisner from 1901–1904, in 1912, and from 1923–1924, and the examination yielded much inscribed material in the form of stelae and the Reisner Papyri.Historical Dictionary Of Ancient Egypt by Morris L. Bierbrier
Ancient Egypt. A Reference Guide. EdwART. 2011.